It has come to our attention that there may be some confusion about qualifications for membership in the Women's Fund. So, let's set the record straight.
1. You must be invited to join. False!
The Women’s Fund is open to every woman. There are absolutely no restrictions.
2. Membership in the Women’s Fund costs $2,500 annually. False!
It is up to you to decide how much to donate. There are two ways to join:
- Become an Individual Member by contributing $2,500 or more in a calendar year. You will receive one vote for every $2,500 contribution you make, up to a limit of four votes.
- Become a Group Member by joining with other women who TOGETHER contribute $2,500 or more in a calendar year. Each group receives one vote for every $2,500 contribution the group makes. There is no limit to the size of a group or how much a woman can contribute.
3. Membership requires hours and hours of volunteer work. False!
You can do as much or as little as you like—whatever fits your busy schedule. We don’t hold fundraisers; we are a volunteer-driven, collective donor group, which enables us to pool our charitable resources to fund nonprofit agencies we elect to support within each calendar year. The benefit is our dollars work together to support local nonprofits that serve women, children and families in the Santa Barbara area.
4. Members must attend lots of meetings. False!
There are two organized meetings per year—and they are optional.
- A spring reception that celebrates the announcement of new grantees.
- A fall site visit featuring the nonprofits that received grants that year.
While these meetings are not mandatory, they are a meaningful way to connect with the important work of the Women’s Fund. In between these meetings, we keep you informed via our e-newsletter, so when it is time for you to vote for our new grantees in the spring, you have all the information you need to make your choices.
5. You must be over 50 years of age to join. False!
More young professional women and moms-at-home are joining the Women’s Fund. We can actually pair you with a group of women who are of similar age, if you would like. You can also start your own group. Our Membership Committee is happy to help, and it’s easy, just click here to contact them.
6. You need to be a resident of Santa Barbara or Montecito. False!
You can live anywhere. Many members live out of town, but they stay connected to the Women’s Fund and a key part of our mission—to build a large community of educated, strategic givers who are inspired to make lasting change in our community through the impact of collective giving.
7. You may only belong to one group. False!
We have many members who belong to a group and also support the Women’s Fund as individual members. And some enjoy TWO or even more group memberships. They like the social aspect of groups and may get together outside of the voting process to have coffee or a potluck dinner. That’s another great benefit of the Women’s Fund—if you want, you can make lots of friends.
We hoped you enjoyed our seven myth-busting facts. If you have more questions about the Women's Fund, read our FAQs or contact our Membership Committee.